Friday, October 4, 2024

Colorado Day 8-9: Good-by to the mountains

 Have I mentioned how spectacular I-70 is west of Denver? If you prefer freeway driving to the twisty backroads we have been doing, this is the place where you can get easy driving AND scenery. There are a few overlooks, but not at the most spectacular places.


This overlook is just east of the town of Frisco.

Once again, in the most spectacular area, Glenwood Canyon, there was no possibility of pulling off for pictures unless we had exited at Hanging Lake, which I didn't think of until we were passing it. Check here for Internet photos.

We descended into the west side of Denver a little before noon. By the time we reached the eastern suburbs, the mountains couldn't even be seen. I felt like our grandson Simeon when he was little and cried as his parents drove him away from Bamff, Alberta, because he didn't want to leave.

Here is a picture of eastern Colorado.

_____________________

Here is a picture of Kansas.

_____________________

We slept in Hays last night. There was an Old Chicago Pizza place across the parking lot. Supper was a no brainer.

The scenery got a little more interesting today when we angled southeast of I-70 toward Branson, MO. 

"Are there any scenic byways going this direction?" Steve asked.

I pulled out the book. There was one going the wrong direction. Evidently we took it last spring. I had made a note. "Scenic" in Kansas is not the same as scenic in Colorado."

Arrived at the Holiday Inn Resort around 4PM. Last time we were here is was too cold to eat outside. Not this time. This time it is too nice to go in, so after supper I set up my computer to update you.


Tomorrow we have tickets for not one, but two, shows: Chinese acrobats and the Shepherd of the Hills pageant. That was my mom's favorite book as a teen. It may have been here mom's as well. I think my first edition as Annie Lizzie Clark's name in the front. I'm sure it will be Sunday before I can tell you all about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment