Friday, August 23, 2024

Aegean Day 5: Ephesus, Türkiye

We were originally scheduled for a tour of ancient Ephesus at 7:45 in the morning, but with the Kavalas, Greece, stop, the ship only arrived at Kusadasi Port at midday and our tour moved to 12:45 PM. Not ideal with temps over 100. 

We were both here nine years ago when we did the 7 church of Revelation tour following the ICETE conference. I was back when the conference was near here. Consequently, I felt no need to take pictures. The reason I chose the tour we did was that it included the Terrace Houses, a wealthy neighborhood, that we hadn’t seen before. 

It was hot. Again, I filled my CamelBak with ice. I soaked my Mammoth Cave Wild Cave Tour bandana in water and draped it around my neck but it soon dried. About the time we entered the covered area at the Terrace Houses, I was feeling sick to my stomach. I sipped ice water from my CamelBak, but was definitely overheated. This was the one place where I DID want to take pictures.





But about half way through I was wondering if it would be better to thrown up on two-thousand-year-old mosaics or on the fiber-glass walkway where people would have to step in it. In the end I sat on some steps and threw up into my bandana. 


Steve had already wandered ahead. But someone else reported to the tour guide that someone was being sick down there. He came back with a couple bottles of water that he had me pour over my head. That helped a lot. Steve and I left the tour and wandered slowly ahead to the bus parking lot where we sat in a café and I drank a 7Up. The bus returned to very near the ship, so it was easy to skip the shopping and carpet exhibit. I threw up again back in our stateroom, although there was nothing left in my stomach to come up so it was just dry heaves. Sigh. Steve went down and cancelled our tours for days 6 and 7.

No comments:

Post a Comment