Sunday, August 25, 2024

Aegean Day 7: Mykonos, Greece

Today was supposed to be our tour of the ruins at Delos, but that involved a mile walk in the sun, and I was quite sure I shouldn’t attempt that. Steve’s drippy nose has turned into a miserable cold, so he stayed in the room. I took the “seabus” to the old port and walked around an area much like I imagine Santorini would have been minus the cliffs.

 



I sat down in the shade in several places.



It was Sunday and when the crowd left after morning services, I sat in an Orthodox church and prayed for a bit.



I headed back to the ship before it got too hot. 


There were lots of lovely shops. The only thing that interested me was the clothes, but there was nothing I could imagine wearing in Wisconsin. Besides, it would have taken more effort to choose than I was willing to put in. The other thing that tempted me was the oyster bars, but I was pretty sure my stomach wasn't ready for that.


It did occur to me that one doesn't have to cruise to enjoy Greek islands. I saw signs for B&Bs. One could fly to Athens and take the ferry to someplace quiet and enjoy a week without the crowded cruise ship. Probably not Santorini since I read they are trying to limit the number of tourists.

 

Tonight we have to put out our suitcases before bed. Tomorrow we have to be out of our rooms by 8, but not off the ship until 9:30. Then we have the day in Athens, but of course, can’t get into our hotel room until mid-afternoon. Sigh. I have not been to the Parthenon since 1965. I hope we both feel up to going.











No comments:

Post a Comment