Monday, August 26, 2024

Aegean Day 8: Athens again

We didn't. Feel up to the Parthenon in the heat, that is. We were able to get into our hotel room earlier than expected. What I WISH we had done was go to the Acropolis in the late afternoon when the heat let up. 

We had tickets for an outdoor Greek play in the evening at the Koilon Theatre at the base of the Acropolis. The area was delightful pedestrian streets with outdoor cafes. I'm pretty sure there was a back way to the top from there if only we had come earlier.

Even the taxi driver had trouble finding the place. The small parking lot overlooked the Roman Forum.


From the rooftop you could see the Acropolis.

I had feared the play would be something sappy for tourists, but not at all. The frame had a modern tourist (who emerged from the audience with his cell phone ringing) knocked unconscious and transported back to ancient Greece where a comic tells him stories of the past, including Odysseus

and Medea.

These were speeches from actual ancient plays. One segment included a chorus. The actors were all men as they would have been originally. I was amazed at how little a beard mattered when the character was wearing a female mask. Definitely worth doing.

We flew home the next day. Another marathon of three flights, but all went smoothly. I had picked up Steve's sniffles and wore a mask the whole time. Good thing. When I got home, I tested positive for Covid. Hence these post-dated entries. Sigh. At least I have a microwave for hot food at home.

















No comments:

Post a Comment