Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Day 2: Theodore Roosevelt National Park

Ledgestone Hotel
Billings, MT

We discovered Theodore Roosevelt National Park on our way to Alaska a few years ago. It is the North Dakota version of the Badlands of South Dakota--grotesquely eroded revealing fabulous stratigraphy.



On that trip, we explored the southern part of the park. I-94 goes right through it. If Steve hadn't been able to see fabulous landscapes from the highway, I doubt I would have been able to convince him to leave the main road. But I did, he enjoyed it, and it was his idea to go back. This time we drove an hour north to enter the northern part of the park. (There is no way to go north/south inside the park except on hiking trails.) The main park road makes our National Geographic Scenic Highways and Byways book which motivated us to go the extra mile(s).

It was worth it. I told myself that I took so many pictures before that I didn't need any today unless it was something totally unique. So I only took 50+.

Mom used her walker and joined us on the Little Mo Nature Trail for maybe half a mile.



She and Steve graciously let me walk on ahead and go further out into this awe-inspiring wilderness.



It's erosion that sculpted it with a little nudge from our Creator God. Still at work with the latest rains.



When we were here before, it was spring and the bison were shedding. They all looked as mangey as stray dogs. So of course, I needed more bison pictures today.



Right by the road. Here Mom watches one of the babies.


Then it was back in the car to drive five more hours past wide-open prairie with endless blue skies all the way to Billings. It was 83 degrees! (49 at home according to Steve's weather ap.) We passed field after field of white and oragne pumpkins ripe for pies and jack-o-lanterns. Then field after field of sunflowers with bowed black heads. When we changed states and the speed limit went from 75 to 80, Steve stuck with 75. 

When Mom stopped at Wallmart for more hearing-aid batteries, I picked up a couple short sleeved T-shirts. (I was expecting more fall weather. Not 83!) I know which shirt Bella would have chosen for me. I know which shirt Alex would have chosen for me. But I chose the other one.

    

Tomorrow? Yellowstone, part 1!

Thank you, Lord...
for a chance to stretch my legs in the midst of your incredible world.
that Mom could enjoy a short walk too.
for yellow juniper trees in the valley of the Little Missouri.
for the awesome formations of stone and gravel.
for the colorful stratigraphy of the rocks.
for those endless blue skies.
for Walmart prices.
for KFC extra crispy even though it isn't healthy.



No comments:

Post a Comment