Saturday, October 1, 2016

Day 6, afternoon: Hiking Lake Jenny

It was pretty gray and drizzly when I left Steve and Mom at the hotel in Jackson and headed back up hill to the park. It was still threatening when I reached the southern end, but by the time I got to the south end of Lake Jenny, it was looking more hopeful. Then I found construction like we hit at Inspiration Point in Yellowstone. The trail was routed away from the lake around whatever refurbishing they are doing.

I left the car at 2:40 thinking I would aim for Inspiration Point and then see where I was time wise . The trail around the construction crossed a bridge and a gravel parking lot, but soon came back to the lake where I found lots of wonderful glimpses through the trees.


Lots of fellow hikers at this point, including families with young kids. A hiker I met later said the south side of the lake (where the road is) isn't nearly as nice because views are blocked by trees except the Lake Jenny Turnout where we (and everyone's brother and cousin) stopped yesterday).

After about an hour I came to a waterfall.



That was where the trail to Inspiration Point was supposed to take off, but--it was closed for reconstruction. Sigh. I walked a bit further and came to an alternate route via Cascade Canyon. How could I resist? I could see a rocky outcropping just a bit above me, so I figured that was probably it. After 15 or 20 minutes of climbing I figured that wasn't where I was going, but there was another outcropping, a bit higher and quite a bit bigger ahead, so that must be it. You know the curve of a mountain hide the top so you keep thinking you are almost there, but you aren't? But by that time you have invested so much energy that you can't just give up and quit. Well, that's how it was. BTW, while the walk around Lake Jenny was slight ups and downs, Cascade Canyon was only up. Steeply up. Too steep for someone who turned 65 last week. (I realized later that I saw an Aussie couple who were maybe 50, but otherwise all hikers were the age of my kids or younger!)

I came around a corner and was surprised to find two deer. One moved away just out of sight (I could still hear her), but the other was totally unphased by my presence.




After a while I was flagging. I asked someone coming down how much further. 10-15 minutes. 10 minutes later I asked someone else. About 20 minutes. There was something wrong there, but like I said, by then I had invested too much to turn back.

I was on the flat about a quarter mile out when it started to rain. Not much, but I knew I needed to hoof it. It had taken me two full hours to this point. I took one quick picture  to prove I had made it.



By this time, the rain was definitely coming down. A major clap of thunder reverberated between the peaks on either side of the canyon. I dug out my fleece and wind breaker from my backpack and hunched over my phone to call Steve. "I'm gonna be late. You and Mom go get supper and bring me a doggie bag."

"You've got the car."

"Oh, yeah."

I told myself I wouldn't stop on the way back, the faster to get home. But then the sun came out.



And when the sun comes out after rain, there are rainbows.


It didn't take me two hours to get back, but it was evening by the time I was walking along the lake. The views had a whole different feel.


The way was muddy in places, but it didn't start to rain again until I was crossing the parking lot to the car. God is good. Very good. Major thunder clap to remind me so.

7:20 PM before I got back to the hotel. Good thing we had another round of Completes for dinner in the room.

Thank you, Lord...
for holding off the rain.
for enchanting lake views.
for the strength to climb.
that it didn't rain the whole way down.
for rainbows.
that I didn't slip in the mud.
for an understanding husband.







2 comments:

  1. haha, sounds like a Korea hike -- straight uphill for 2+ hours. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only the second hour was straight up hill. Not quite as bad as a Korean hike. But neither was there a tea shop at the top.

    ReplyDelete