Thursday, January 10, 2019

Guatemala Day 2: relax at SETECA

Last night we had a lively dinner with Paul and Jean Sywuka. Paul is a 3rd generation missionary who has been a pillar of the school here. Now retired. Jean has a huge gift of hospitality. Other dinner guests were a Dallas prof Jim Adams, and a young couple from Dallas headed into missions. She is an MK who was here at SETECA as a toddler while her parents did theological studies and then grew up in Mexico.

I had zero responsibilities today, and it was raining so I didn't feel any desire to explore. Steve spent the day at a different Bible college while I worked on revisions to my new WIP. (That's work-in-progress for you non-writers.) I should probably have done some research before I started writing, but hey! I felt inspired. Unfortunately, once I did some research I discovered that some of my assumptions were completely wrong, and I needed to relocate opening events in a different setting. Not as difficult as I first feared. I'll probably finish the revisions tomorrow morning and be ready to move forward when we get home.

This afternoon Kathi Small came for tea. Kathi is from my home church. She has lived in Venezuela and more recently Peru and I had forgotten that she moved here to Guatemala recently, but she was at Steve's faculty workshop yesterday and made the connection. So glad she did. We had a nice time drinking tea and talking. Again I am impressed with how many awesome people have come out of Faith Missionary Church in Indianapolis.



We had supper in the school dining hall. Classes aren't in session, but there is a doctoral workshop going on so the kitchen is open. The young couple we had dinner with last evening joined us at our table and we had a good time. It is so cool to be with young people excited about what God may have for them in cross-cultural ministry.

Tomorrow will be relax and get packed in the morning. After lunch, we will visit my high school classmate Ines Ayau Garcia, abbess of the Orthodox Monastery of the Holy Trinity and head of the Raphael Ayau Orphanage. I am really looking forward to seeing Inez after almost 50 years! (Is that possible???)

No comments:

Post a Comment