Friday, July 29, 2022

Iceland Day 5: Seydisfjordur

John and Tammy and I did the excursion to Hengifoss Waterfall, third highest in Iceland. It was an hour and a half drive away, up through the Fjardarheidi Pass full of gorgeous waterfalls that the bus did not stop at for photos.

Then along Lagarfljot Lake, whose lake bed is 328 feet below sea level. It was a steep climb and then a way along the stream. 

There were several falls along the way. Our destination is the falls at the top left. (That's my "don't get shot by hunters while hiking during hunting season" hat.


Temperatures all week were in the '40s and '50s, but this day wasn’t too cold and it didn’t actually rain, so although it was overcast and not ideal for pictures, it was great weather for Iceland!

You can see that some of the rocks have fallen since this boardwalk was built.


Our guide was a “real Icelander” with a half ponytail and beard, traditional sweater and a leather coat and cap (in his left hand). Tammy got this picture when he was talking to John. (And yes, our hike started on a level just above the lake in the background.)


I chatted with a young South African man named Tumelo. He was very attentive when I needed to take breaks. I encouraged him to go on without me and enjoy his adventure. Turns out he works on the ship as the fitness instructor. Nice friendly guy who grew up in Cape Town and moved to Jozi. I was the last person back to the bus, but I got there before the time they had said we should be back.

 

On the way back we stopped in Egilstadir, one of the newest towns in Iceland, which grew up on the ring road where side roads take off. There was a lovely arts and crafts shop where I bought my daughter Katie’s Christmas present, but since she will no doubt read this blog, I'm not saying what it is. (Sorry, Kate, not a $200 sweater.)

No comments:

Post a Comment