Friday, May 22, 2015

Day 3: Glendive, MT to Kellog, ID

796 mi

Thank you, Lord, list:
Lovely picnic spot in the mountains
Railtrail behind hotel

We started out again on I-94, but left it for US 12 at Forsyth. I-94 swings south and Mapquest said that 12 would be just as fast. It's a two-lane road with no shoulder at all for most of the distance. Much more interesting than an interstate. Not so removed front he geology.

We saw a grand total of five vehicles in the first hundred miles. The countryside started out dry with bits of badlands like we saw in North Dakota, looking like every cowboy movie I ever saw as a kid.


I got all excited when I saw these snowy mountains--our first on this trip. I pulled out the atlas to find out what they are called. They're called Snowy Mountains. Glad I asked.


Gradually we climbed. The hills got greener.  Steve picked this great spot for lunch in a beautiful pass.



After Helena we were in a whole different world.



We originally thought to fly to Alaska, take a tour and rent a vehicle for a bit of our own exploring. The cost was going to be more than this three-week meander in our own car. Well, my mother-in-law's car, which is roomier and has more power for the mountains than our Prius. The "cost" is hours and hours in the car. So I decided I needed a project. Here are the first two days of an afghan for our family room.


Good thing Steve made our reservations back in February. He had an e-mail tonight saying one hotel has to cancel because of a fire and it took an hour and a half on the phone with Expedia to find an alternative--in another town.

Tomorrow we will reach Steve's sister in Puyallup, Washington, spend the weekend and pick up Mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment