Saturday, May 23, 2015

Day 4: Kellog, ID to Puyallup, WA

392 miles
6:50 AM- 2:15 PM

Thank you, Lord, list:
Reservations successfully made for Monday at an alternate hotel to the one that burned.
Detours to scenic overlooks
Sunlight on wildflowers
Family
Saturday night pizza tradition

Most of National Geographic's Scenic Byways routes in this part of the country seem to go N-S--not the direction we want to go. Although our goal for the day was to arrive at his sisters for some family time,  Steve agreed to take a short detour off I-90 at Idaho 97 to an overlook with views of Lake Coere d'Alene. Gorgeous!


He even let me scamper further up with my camera.


Eastern Washington was dry and boring, but Steve's sister (who has driven this route many times) told us we should stop at the scenic overlook just before the Columbia River at Vantage. Wow! If I had been wearing something besides flip-flops I could enjoyed more scrambling on the rocks.


Western Washington is anything but boring. The clouds slipped down over the mountain tops in Snoqualmie Pass making everything mysterious. But the clouds didn't make for good pictures and there were no overlooks so, sorry,  no pictures.

You don't want to see an update on my afghan. I ripped it all out. I had been frustrated that the pattern wasn't emerging in a recognizable way. Then I realized that the pattern I got off the Internet had to be wrong. (I know. Hard to believe that you can't trust everything you read on the Internet.) For every repetition of the pattern I was taking away 3 stitches and adding 6. That meant that every four rows I was adding 30 stitches. That doesn't work! So in the boring east Washington stretch, I ripped out and cast on again, counting 4 times before I was sure I had the right number of stitches. (Distracted. We were starting to climb. Not the best place to stare cross-eyed at loops of nobby thread.) So I will be starting fresh on the first day we head north.





No comments:

Post a Comment