Monday, September 21, 2015

Accident at Midnight


I start my trip home today. My last night at Erika's was interrupted by a phone call. Dan has been on a bike trip with his brother David from Seoul to Busan at the southern end of Korea. They finished yesterday and took the train home. Since the train didn't get into Seoul until nearly midnight, Dan was planning to sleep at his brother's and come home today. But ... an hour or so from his own bed ... traffic so much lighter at night ... He made the same decision my husband would have made—go home. But in the dense fog (my phone went off with an emergency alert) he had an accident and totaled the car at one o'clock in the morning.

Erika found a friend (a GREAT friend to get up a that hour and help!) who took her to the site to pick up his stuff, including an expensive bike, and take him to the hospital in Osan. The painful hand turned out not to be broken, but when Erika saw the pictures on the MP's phone (car was already towed when she got there), she knew Dan would be dead if it weren't for airbags and the Lord. He has a bright red and purple line where the seatbelt crossed his chest and assorted other bruises. Fortunately, no other vehicle was involved. And it was good that I was here to stay with Simeon. So grateful that he still had a daddy when he woke up.

The fog is so thick this morning that although I can see the picnic pavilion at the base of the building, I can't see the school across the street.


When Simeon got up, we had to tell him to be gentle with Daddy's boo-boos (rather than climbing all over him in welcomed return from his bike trip). Simeon was very concerned and offered to pray for Daddy's boo-boos. I didn't catch all the words but God did. Simeon then proceeded to give Daddy's boo-boos laser treatments with his space gun.

Taken next day at the garage

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you were still there when this happened. Sobering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you were still there when this happened. Sobering.

    ReplyDelete