Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Hiking at Magoksa

Labor Day is a day off here too, at least for American military, so we went hiking. I got in my desired 10,000 steps. 18,000 actually. 7 miles and 48 flights of stairs. Erika said she saw an article about things to do in Korea that said something like "If you don't mind going straight up, hiking in Korea is awesome." Very true.

We drove about an hour away to Chungcheong and did two hikes. One was on an app Dan had. He says everything he has ever done from that app has been a well-organized hike on a well-marked path. This one wasn't. We drove up a narrow road like a British one-lane with passing places except the passing places were few and far between and instead of a hedge at the side, there was a drop off. Erika was very nervous. I was feeling the same, but not as expressive. It seemed to go on forever, up the mountain and through a farm, but at least we didn't meet anyone. Funny thing was that on the way back down it was only a few hundred yards and not so steep! 



The path itself became less and less distinct, but with Dan's phone we knew we were on it or slightly off and eventually found the water fall. There was hardly any water, but several man-made platforms (stone retaining walls) as if for camping or picnics.

We hiked through what we eventually decided was a chestnut orchard. The trees had these green spikey balls on them and there were lots of dried up and cracked open ones on the ground. The nuts inside were what made us decide they were chestnuts. Chestnuts (among other tree nuts) are one of Simeon's allergens. He got mild hives, but mostly we managed to keep him from touching them. Hard since he was eager for his new plastic dinosaur to romp in the leaves.








The surprising thing was how much walking Simeon did. He's getting heavy to carry and Daddy only put him on his back in the steepest places. Otherwise he was off on his own (with Mom frantic that he would topple over the edge!) Quite a trooper. His new dinosaur got pretty dirty investigating what he could eat and had to be washed in the stream.


Staircase number 2

We had stopped for bathrooms at a shopping center that included a billboard map of a local temple with hiking trails, so we went there next. Much more civilized, but also much more elevation involved. By 'civilized' I just mean there were other tourists and the path was plain. I gave up before the top. I had already passed my 10,000 steps when we came to a staircase whose top we couldn't see. Before you judge me, know that we had just climbed another in hopes of a lookout, but the view was obstructed by trees. I sat to wait while the others investigated the view. When they didn't come back and a bunch of old people came down, I decided I was rested enough to take it on. More trees at the top. No view. The path was more level, so I walked on, vowing not to take on another staircase, but when I came to a flat rock good for sitting I stopped there. I pulled out my phone and read from my devotional book, praying for Korea. We had passed a couple shrines where people lit candles and paid to hang prayers from the ceiling. 



A temple half way up the mountain

There was also a very ancient Buddha carved in a rock part way up the mountain where people were bowing on their faces. I felt sad for them. In the village we could see a cross on a building that we assumed was a church. I prayed for their impact on the community. 


On the lower slopes we found a couple rest shelters, but alas, none where I waited.




Simeon "resting" in one of the shelters
The others returned. They said eventually the path descended again before climbing another peak. The top of this one was closed in with trees so I was glad I hadn't pushed further. 

Simeon loved the colorful entrance to the actual temple area.
Supper was at a chain called Seong and Cook where Dan has enjoyed their pizza although the pizza in this one was entirely different. It was a sort of deep dish made with puff pastry. Very good but not anything like traditional pizza. It was a second floor restaurant open to the city. Right downtown Cheonan with buses,  tall buildings and city lights. 

Simeon had only maybe 40 minutes of sleep in the car. The restaurant manager made friends with him and brought him a free order of fries, sprinkled with what we think was powdered sugar. At least, he didn't have a reaction to them. Erika has never ordered fries before because of what might have previously been fried in the oil. Something with a wheat breading would leave traces to be picked up on his fries. Simeon loved them and flirted with the man constantly.

I was in bed within 10 minutes of getting home. I woke at 3:29 as I have been since arriving, but had no trouble getting back to sleep. Only woke again at 6:15. Hopefully I am over the jetlag hump. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment