Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Many Partings

A conference like this involving so many dear friends from around the world inevitably ends with "many partings." About fifty will be staying on with us for the tour of the ruins of the seven cities that Christ addressed in the first three chapters of the book of Revelation. For others, today is farewell. Again we sang "We are one body". Tears sprang to my eyes with the first line--400+ brothers and sisters in Christ from 70 countries. We ended up holding hands as we sang.

David Baer of Overseas Council (Steve's old employer in Indianapolis) had the last session, summarizing what we have learned. He ended with the words to the old hymn, "Tell Me the Old, Old Story" by A. Katherine Hankey, penned in 1866.

Tell me the old, old story
Of unseen things above,
Of Jesus and His glory,
Of Jesus and His love.
Tell me the story simply,
As to a little child,
For I am weak and weary,
And helpless and defiled.
Tell me the story slowly,
That I may take it in,
That wonderful redemption,
God’s remedy for sin.
Tell me the story often,
For I forget so soon;
The early dew of morning
Has passed away at noon.
Tell me the story softly,
With earnest tones and grave;
Remember I’m the sinner
Whom Jesus came to save.
Tell me the story always,
If you would really be,
In any time of trouble,
A comforter to me.
Tell me the same old story
When you have cause to fear
That this world’s empty glory
Is costing me too dear.
Yes, and when that world’s glory
Is dawning on my soul,
Tell me the old, old story:
Christ Jesus makes thee whole
Fitting as we scatter to our various lives, so easily caught up in church politics and administrative challenges. This old, old story is the point: Jesus and his love.
After lunch (and several conversations) I returned to the beach for a nap. Only I read so long that the sun disappeared behind the mountain when I had just begun to drift off. Still a beautiful spot.

Steve was honored a couple times in the closing session for his contributions. Proud to be married to this guy.
Lunch for me has usually been a salad and a piece of meat from the grill outside. They don't cut their chicken the same way we do. A couple times the piece I chose turned out to be part of the back. Hard to eat politely. This one was breast meat. We LOVE that bread, chock full of sunflower seeds. The egg, I stole from breakfast to cut up on my salad. They always have eggs at breakfast. Never at lunch.

Discipline for me has consisted of one inch square of baklava per day and take the stairs. :-)
Confession: some days I ate two.  So good.
The other sweets were good, but resistible--once I had tasted them, that is.




No comments:

Post a Comment