Saturday, February 27, 2016

Day 4: Dubrovnik

Last morning in Dubrovnik. This afternoon we will take the bus back to the airport and head for Zagreb. Of course, I couldn't resist more pictures, but I swear I skipped many more because of the poor lighting!

The market outside our hotel from a more traditional angle.

The hall where we attended the concert last evening. Still can't stop thinking what an exciting event it must have been for the kids to play with the symphony orchestra.
I had noticed these weird columns on the main street and wondered how they fit in architecturally. Then today I saw someone manufacturing more. Gave one of these a tap. It's hollow! Plastic? It seems Star Wars has hired a portion of the city in March for filming the next movie. You didn't hear it from me. I guess it is all hush hush, but I think that is the content of the movie not the fact of the filming.


We wound up back at the square for the Saturday morning folk dance presentation. Except they moved it into the one-screen cinema instead because of the drizzle. Lots of fun. I think the stomping was probably better on this stage than it would have been in the stone plaza. For a couple numbers the boys wore jingle bells around their ankles. We changed seats because of the guy with the selfie stick who kept sticking it in the middle of the scene. I'm managed to mostly crop him out of this one. Here's a bit of video to give you an idea.



Since this is off season and the hotel didn't need our room, they let us use it until we left for the bus at 2, so we went "home", put our feet up for a bit and then went for lunch. The sun had come out and we briefly considered the patio where we had coffee the other day, but there were smokers. We chose this place because it had both what I wanted and what Steve wanted. Mine is grilled squid buried in tomatoes, green onion, capers and olives. Yum. You can see Steve's order in the background.





2 comments:

  1. How fun! Star Wars filming?? And all in all what a spectacular city!! I must admit I am not jealous of your food choices though. I definitely would have preferred Dad's burger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But my squid was so yummy! I used my bread to mop up all those wonderful juices. At the concert we kept thinking how fabulous it would have been for you as a trumpet student to be able to play with the symphony.

      Delete