Friday, June 29, 2018

Palazzo Publico, Siena Town Hall

Well, I didn't get pictures up the next day...or the next... Saturday, our last touring day, I coughed more and more, but there was still so much I wanted to see! Siena is a marvelous city, well worth the visit. I hope to get back when I am feeling better.

Saturday morning we started with the Palazzo Publico, the 13th-c town hall on the Piazza del Campo, where the Palio horse race has taken place annually for hundreds of years.


Henry Brooks points out that where most cathedral towns are centered around the church, Siena made government their god. (The climax of his not-yet-published book Absolution takes place in the Palazzo.) The interior is lavishly painted in medieval style. 



Perhaps the most famous painting is this one of Good Government (on the right) aided by Justice (on the left) assisted by Harmony (below her) dispersing wisdom to the citizens who give authority to the government.



To the right is a mural portraying the results of good government in a prosperous city and countryside. To the left is a painting of Bad Government. The result is dead bodies in the street and general decay. Perhaps our politicians should take note.



The Torre del Mangia towers over the courtyard of the palace and over the piazza.



Despite my cough, I couldn't resist climbing. (I noted that there was a senoir discount for touring the palaccio, but no senior discount to climb the 400-steps of the tower.)



I stopped freqquently to enjoy the views.



The views of the surrounding city and countryside were fabulous, including this one of the cathedral.



Steve climbed with me to the loggia at the top of the back of the building. It made we wish we had brought a picnic lunch to enjoy in the breeze.

No comments:

Post a Comment