Friday, September 21, 2018

Utah Day 11: Boots on the ground in Zion

Best birthday present ever! Steve dropped me off at the shuttle a little before 7.


I rode up to the top of Zion Canyon and walked the very tame, but very beautiful Riverside Trail.


Breakfast spot.


I SHOULD have taken a change of shoes. Many walkers headed up the Narrows wading in the creek. I had the impression that it was all (10-12 hours with equipment from an outfitter) or nothing. I'll have to come back. (In fact, Steve gave me a book of hikes in Bryce and Zion as a more concrete birthday gift.)


The plan was to meet up at the Visitor Center at 11:30, so I had time to fit in a couple more easy walks. This one was to Lower Emerald Pool.


When I got there the pool was small, but the water coming over the rocks sparkled in the sun.


I saw deer a couple times, but they tend to stay in the grass and shadows and don't come out for photos. But this guy did.


I was glad someone else put his hand near to show the size and I didn't need to.

One more quick hop off the shuttle to climb to the Patriarchs overlook. Beginning in the middle of this panorama shot, that's Abraham, Isaac and Moroni there with Jacob peaking over Moroni's shoulder.


I know. Moroni isn't in my Bible either. The Mormon's named the peaks.

After yummy crepes in a local cafe, we took the road to Kolob Reservoir. It goes in and out of the park past a variety of trail heads, but is MUCH less crowded than Zion Canyon itself. We passed a house with this view. Can you imagine what they must have paid for the lot?


The asphalt ended at the reservoir.


Water level is down a bit. I'd be happy to contribute some of our lake water that currently completely drowns our beach.


This is our last national park for this trip. Tomorrow we start home--by the scenic route, of course--up I-15 to I-70. No more hiking, but maybe I'll convince Steve to stop at a few scenic pull offs.

No comments:

Post a Comment