Monday, October 29, 2018

Panama Day 1: Westin Playa Bonita Hotel

[Sorry. No pictures today. I have a new phone/camera and have experienced a couple goofs so in the end I have nothing usable for now. You'll have to believe me or that it is beautiful. That, or check the website.]

After celebrating Bella's birthday on Saturday, we were off Sunday to Panama for the trianual ICETE meetings. Steve had used airmiles to upgrade us to first class, which meant we had both lunch and dinner. We waved to Larry and Mary Caldwell as they passed us boardig in MSP, then ran into a bunch of other people headed this way in the Delta Lounge in Atlanta. We were all on the same flight and able to connect to share Uber rides to the hotel.

We drove all the way through a beautiful modern city since the hotel is on the opposite side from the airport. We even had to take a bridge over the canal. A 1.5km road out over the water circles the old city. Very impressive.

It was 11 PM before we were settled at the Westin Playa Bonita and crawling into bed. I had hopes of sleeping late, but...the old body clock wakes at 5:45.

In Turkey three years ago our package included all drinks, both in the hotel and by the pool. Here is only in the hotel and non-alcoholic drinks. I do have my thermal mug and little coil for making tea in the room so I can take that where I will. However, the climate is very muggy, so I'm not sure how much I will want tea by the pool.

This is not a travels-with-Claudia journey although I'm wishing it were. The hotel and beach remind me so much of Hawaii and the good times Mom and I had there. She could have managed the pool and watching the waves just fine and skipped all meetings. But she chose rainy Seattle instead...

The forecast is for rain every day here, but not all day. So far it hasn't rained, but the skies are moisture filled and my hair collapsed immediately upon leaving air-conditioned space. Pictures will not be as blue-skied as Utah.

I took several pictures this morning as we explored the beach, only to find that I had inadvertently clicked a setting on my new phone that makes them all 2-second videos. One of the women at the airport yesterday showed me pics of her grandchildren with slight movement, and I expect that is what she was using. Great for grandkids, but not for the beach--at least not when you don't realize that is what you are doing and move the camera around.

We'll see how this pic of Steve swimming laps works.



Tide was in this morning. Tide is out now and a totally different beach.

I had noticed several signs not to go into the mangrove and assumed it was to protect the air roots that stick out of the ground. Then I saw a sign saying "Keep out. Crocodile habitat."Boy is that motivation!

No comments:

Post a Comment