Wednesday, June 12, 2019

Kruger National Park, Day 2

Up a little after 4 a.m.--in time to find out that the 4:45 meeting time for the morning walk was wrong and it should have been 5:15. But the fires were all out and the moon had gone down so the stars were more visible. But not as visible as a moonless night at home in the Northwoods.


We drove about half an hour to get to the walking place. The sun was just coming up. There were seven of us, plus two guides with guns. They explained that we were there to enjoy nature and the little things, not necessarily to see the Big Five. Since you aren't normally allowed outside your vehicle in Kruger, my goal was not seeing game so much as taking a walk without getting eaten.



“Let’s got lost,” Siti said as we took off down a trail made by big animals. They inevitably lead to places the animals go. 



Mishak looked through the binos for quite a while before announcing he had seen a bush rhino--a bush that looks like a rhino.

At first we saw only old scat. Then we spotted a baby giraffe in the distance with Mama bending over where she was less easy to spot. When they saw us even across the valley, the baby went closer to Mama. Siti and Mishak led the way across the bush, following various trails, trying to get closer. We succeeded, and I’m sure the guys with the fancy cameras got some great shots. My iPhone is good, but not THAT good. Near the giraffe were a herd of zebra. They hang out together to warn each other. The zebra hung around to see us for themselves, but then made warning noises to let the giraffe know where we were.

The most exciting time was finding a family of elephants. With the sun behind us and the wind in our faces to carry away our scent, we got near, standing in the shadow. Siti offered to take this shot of me.


We took our time coming out, stopping for snacks of biltong, cheese, crackers, chips and candy bars. On the way back, we hoofed it. I was pretty winded. No one ever asked to see the note from my doctor saying I was fit enough for the outing even though the website said it was required for people over 65. In fact, I was probably the only one over 40, but I managed to keep up.

It was 9:20 when we got back to camp—too early to call it a morning, so I headed out in the car. Best find was a waterhole. Not only was this guy there getting a nice long drink, but at the other end were a family of hippos out on the bank. (Usually you just get glimpses of their backs when they emerge from the water for breath.) 


Before I left, Mama Hippo chased Baby into the water and the others followed. Also some kind of antelope (impala?) at that end, but too far away to see clearly. Zebra grazing off to the side and waterbuck resting on the opposite bank. Very satisfying.

I came back to camp and made a salad for lunch and took a nap. I had had ideas of going to the pool, but didn’t have the energy. I’m sure I rested better on my bed with a breeze coming through.

In the late afternoon I headed back out. Took a loop road past this impressive rock without seeing a single animal.


I stopped at Shitlhave Dam where I saw the hippo before. Lots of cars. I was not the only one to think that was a good place to be at sundown. A kudu cow and calf came by. Then this rhino came so close I was afraid he would ram the car.


Home to shower, pack, and braai my dinner—another steak and the rest of the pork rashers. I’m getting hungry for vegetables like broccholi, carrots, and green beans.

No comments:

Post a Comment