Tuesday, September 20, 2022

Glacier National Park

 I had this idea that I would spend today working my way up this side of the pass, and tomorrow pick up where I left off and continue over the top. Bad idea.

I had a lovely hike on the Rocky Point Trail on the west side of MacDonald Lake. No people. Great views even if it was cloudy.


The trail is level along the lake for quite a while, then climbs at the point, although I think it would be easy enough to stay on the lake level and return the way you came. The back side of the loop has a lot more climbing. (But only about 4200'!)

The problem was that I started Going to the Sun Road late enough that every pull over was full until the hairpin turn called "The Loop" half way up the mountain. Better idea would have been to leave my lakeside hike for afternoon.

The climb to Logan's Pass was pretty overcast.


And when I reached the top there was fresh snow.

But no parking places. So after parking at an overlook and hiking maybe a quarter mile back to use the port-a-potty, I started my return journey.

I found a parking space at the Loop and did a three-mile hike from there. It started out cloudy, but then the sun came out. I stripped off jacket and sweater and hiked in short sleeves. At this altitude the fall colors are showing.

And with the sun out, every direction I pointed my camera was an irresistible shot.


People were so friendly. "Isn't it incredible?" "Have you been to Logan Pass yet?" "Just up here you'll have a great view of snow on the mountain. And go a little further and there's another one!"

I had fun shooting through the "windows" of a tunnel.

By mid afternoon the pullovers were emptying out, and it was easy to find a spot to park. This little waterfall is at Red Rock.

I wasn't the only one resting in the sun on the rock and enjoying the view. Well, I guess not everyone was enjoying the view. More than one had their eyes closed.

There were parking spaces at the Avalanche area in the afternoon, and I took a few minutes to do the <1-mile Trail of Cedars. Much of it is a raised boardwalk, I presume to protect the roots of the awesome trees.

Steve would have loved it. The road tops even Beartooth Pass above Yellowstone. The only negative is that everyone else wants to see it too. I guess we'll just have to come back.

Tomorrow's plan is to go straight to Logan Pass and then work my way down the other side. I have to be in Great Falls, MT, by nightfall.


No comments:

Post a Comment