Saturday, October 29, 2022

Danube Cruise bonus: Ceilings

We are home, staring at our own plain white ceilings. I thought it would be fun to collect some of the more interesting ceilings we have seen in one place. The lighting made this one in Smetana Hall of the Municipal House in Prague one of my favorites. 
All of Municipal House was in the Art Nouveau style. This is the ceiling of the confectionary. I longed for a pastry and a cup of tea there.

The Egyptian room nearby was completely different.

Alphonse Mucha painted this dome in the Mayor's Hall above the main entrance of Municipal House ans designed all the rest of the decoration of the room.

The Spanish synagogue in Prague imitates a Moorish style popular at the beginning of the 20th century. In light of modern Moorish/Jewish relations, I found it rather ironic.


The Estates Opera House, Prague, where we saw Mozart's Cote Fan Tutti. (Hmm. Circles and ovals make great ceilings!) Here I was as entranced by the layers of balconies as I was the ceiling.

The vaulting of St. Vita Cathedral, Prague Castle.


Chapel of Mirrors in the National Library, Prague, with an organ Mozart played and an incredible young soprano.

Golden Hall in the Musikverein, Vienna. This one was a bit much for me.

Sala Terrena in the Mozart House, Vienna, where we heard the string quartet in early 18th-c dress.

St. Peter's, Vienna, where we heard the wonderful organ concert. I loved the soft colors.

These last three are in the very Hapsburg Museum of Fine Art in Vienna.



I think my favorite would be either the first in Smetana Hall (Prague) or St. Peter's, Vienna. How about you? (I am not considering replacing any of my plain white ceilings at home. Just sayin'.


No comments:

Post a Comment