Monday, September 11, 2023

Castle Rock

When we made our reservation, we upgraded to a two-bedroom apartment at the resort and invited our friends John and Tammy to join us. We traveled with them to Iceland last year (beginning Monday, July 25, 2022) and enjoy their company. I was eager to show them my favorite walk here to Castle Rock.


It's a short drive from the resort to the North Kingsbury Trailhead, and then a moderate walk. The views are well worth it.

Last year this view was totally obscured. This year we stand in awe.

I had a not-so-secret motive in inviting John and Tammy to join us. I was looking for hiking companions who, like me, want to know what is around the next corner or over the next hill. Steve joined us to Castle Rock, but then he returned the way we had come while John and Tammy and I continued around a circle with views I never dreamed of last year. Can you spot Castle Rock in the background on the right?


We have a full kitchen at the resort. Last evening we had a roast chicken from Safeway. Tonight we made a chicken wild-rice soup from the carcass and wild rice Tammy had brought from home. (They drove.) This is rice they had harvested themselves. We both brought cheese from Burnett Dairy. We're from Wisconsin, after all, and no other cheese tastes quite the same.

The song that has been going through my head today is the Carpenters, "I'm on the Top of the World." The top of the world is a great place for sunset pictures.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment