Wednesday, September 13, 2023

Van Sickle Trail

The Tahoe Rim Trail passes near our resort. There is an access trail from the top of our hill. Only it is closed at the moment while they do major renovation to buildings damaged in last winter's fifteen feet of snow. Instead, the shuttle driver took me and Tammy and John to the bottom of the ski lift below our resort. It made a significantly steeper start to our hike, but we made it. Hopefully by next year the buildings at the top will be fixed and we can access the trail further up.

When I saw this hollow stump, I thought of a picture we have of daughter Erika standing in one at God's Window in South Africa. Nice to have someone else to take the picture. (Thank you, Tammy.)
The path crosses a couple ski lifts
and a couple ski runs.

At this rocky hilltop we got our first views of the lake.

Here the Rim Trail and the Van Sickle Trail we were following are one, with view after spectacular view.



Eventually I started remembering our honeymoon when I took photo after photo of the Appalachian Mountains, only to find when they were developed that they all looked the same. But each moment is so awesome! 

Eventually we came to this small waterfall and from there down to the Van Sickle Trailhead.

I called Steve to come pick us up. None of us was interested in doing the return trip uphill.

Tammy thought this was the best trail yet, and I would have to agree. I would just rather not have to do that initial uphill from the ski lift.  :-)

Back to the hot tub.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment