Friday, March 4, 2016

Day 10: Osijek

I spent much of my day in the basement with that pile of book boxes. We rigged up Deborah's laptop so I could consult the on-line catalog from down there. Deborah's computer uses a Croatian keyboard. The keyboard I use in the main library LOOKS like a Croatian keyboard, but types English. That forces me to touch type so I don't get confused looking at a Z key that types Y and vice verse. Only, Deborah's keyboard actually types Z in the spot where it says Z, but I'm used to Y. That means I type words like "commentarz" and names like "Hardz". Of course, the search engine has trouble finding those. There is also an accented C where my fingers expect an apostrophe, so mostly I left the apostrophes out. The point was not to have to carry a heavy box of commentaries upstairs (even though we do that on a cart) only to find that we have multiple copies already. I checked the sets downstairs, and got them into the right pile of boxes, i.e. the one labeled duplicates for another theological library. At the end of the day I opened a large box--the sort that should have been packed with toilet paper, not books!--and found a large collection of books on evangelism and church planting. Those I took upstairs to the light of the main library to work on in the company of Deborah and a couple students.

I'm ready for a break so it's nice that it is Friday.

Friday is also chapel day. We met in the library. Steve was the speaker--Psalm 27. He spoke slowly without a translator. I think people understood, but it wasn't his usual animated communication. A couple of his students led the music with keyboard. Nice voices, especially the girl.


You'll forgive me if I didn't manage to keep up very well with the words even though they were on the screen.

No comments:

Post a Comment