Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Day 7: Osijek

Finally saw the pile of book boxes in the basement. Not the small pile I saw yesterday in an office and thought we were almost done. This one is a PILE. There are more boxes out of the picture to the left and a pile of empty boxes behind.


25,000 books is a lot of books! Got through maybe three boxes today. It's faster when there are a lot of obvious rejects like heavily underlined with lots of notes in the margin. Someone was an avid student of prophecy (probably about 60 years ago by the publication date of the books), but they aren't needed here in the 21st c. 

Andrew had the idea that I could open boxes and sort for priority in the basement, but there just isn't room to sort. The table out of sight to the right is covered with miscellaneous books. It seems more effective to open one or two boxes at a time and deal with them. Some are really good books that make a significant contribution. Some are good books but we already have several copies. Some are not worth having been shipped. We'll see what kind of dent I can make.

Lunch today was a bowl of bean soup and some bread plus the ever present pickeled peppers. So tonight we decided to eat out rather than make cup-a-soup and sandwiches in the room. On my walk I located the restuarant we had enjoyed two years ago when we were here. When Steve was done with his Skype conversation to South Africa with a Brazilian teacher for a program in Portugal (how is that for international?), we took another walk and ended up there. They don't have an English menu, but it is a picture menu. Steve ointed to the picture of the pizza he wanted. (Turned out to be twice what he needed so it will be cold pizza for breakfast tomorrow.) I pointed to I-didn't-know-what. Turned out to be thin pork rolled around bits of cheese and wrapped in bacon, served with rice, cream and sautéed veggies. Delicious. We will definitely be back. Good prices too. In Dubrovnik we didn't question the prices because they were comparable to US, but my meal tonight was about $7, Steve's slightly less. Cokes were $1.75 each for a small bottle.



2 comments:

  1. We just finished a week in Croatia. I have pictures of the room of the boxes of books from last year before I took the first box down. There was no where to stand to get all of them. Joe, Matej, and another volunteer reorganized the boxes Friday so that they can be reached without the pile falling. I fear I made all those "piles in the corners" and that they were not as well labeled as I thought that they were. Sorry. I also arrived this time after visiting a library in Romania, I may not have been as selective as I was last year...I wish we had talked between your trip and mine. Terry Vanderslice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Talking would have been nice. I could see your hand quite clearly, but it didn't look like there had been much follow up. The table was a clutter of miscellaneous. Of course, it was probably that way again by the time you got there. Next time we should be in touch.

      Delete