Thursday, March 3, 2016

Day 8 & 9: Osijek

The days have fallen into a routine. Not much to write about. Steve teaches; I work in the library. His students are enjoying the course, according to others who have heard comments. Of course, cross-cultural communication is a fascinating subject with opportunities for fun learning activities even for college students. I spent some time this morning in the basement, sorting the piles on a long table and figuring out what the various piles in corners were. I'm planning to spend some more time down there soon. We are hoping to get a computer set up there, so I can look things up without having to cart them upstairs first only to find that we already have multiple copies and don't need the book.

Nevenka, the psych and counselling prof who befriended us last time, invited us over for coffee after lunch. She lives in the next block so it was an easy walk. The house belonged to her parents. She has been remodeling it bit by bit into multiple apartments. She sold off one section and lives in another part while waiting to raise enough money to fix up another section. Her kids are in Dubai. I think her husband is in Jordan. They see each other for a few months a year, pursuing careers in different parts of the world.

Got our laundry done yesterday. It was actually a nice enough day to hang some stuff outside. I have managed to lose not one, but two sets of headphones since leaving home. (I think the second ended up in the sheets at our Zagreb hotel. Not sure what happened to the first.) Last evening I took a trolly downtown to where I had been told there was an electronics store and bought a new set for $6. Not Apple, but they work. (I had been missing my audio-books, and of course, a couple library books I have had holds on for months came through this week.) I walked home along the river until I reached the part that is all torn up. About 40 minutes.) Fun to be familiar enough with the area from our last visit to feel comfortable running around by myself. I did ask the IT guy where to go before I set off and recognized the area he was talking about.

That's all for today. I have some postcards I want to write for the grandkids.

No comments:

Post a Comment