Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Being Productive (More or Less)

Today was a more relaxed day—at least for me. Steve had a session this morning with faculty and administrators of the local schools. It is an amazing thing that they cooperate so well. In too many regions, theological schools see themselves as being in competition rather than all working for the same goal of preparing workers for the kingdom of God.

While Steve was out, I worked on a chapter of my own book, Black Mountain, before turning to an editing job I have been doing. It felt good to be productive. A woman came by who works for a local publisher. She wanted to record a couple interviews with Steve to promote a book in which he has a chapter. When she learned that I write fiction, she wanted to know more and talk about the possibility of translating and adapting some of my books for a Brazilian audience. We’ll see if anything comes of it. She also made me a present of her mother’s memoir of growing up in the interior of the province. It sounds much like my mother-in-law’s book of memories, only obviously, from a totally different culture. I look forward to reading it.

Steve went this evening to speak at a seminary an hour and a half away. I didn’t think I needed the time sitting in the car. I HAVE heard him speak before and on these topics. Tomorrow we are going to Recife to visit our Portuguese language tutor from almost forty years ago so I WILL get a chance to see the countryside.


I realized I hadn’t shown you the dining hall here at Betel. The food is simple, mainly meat and starch whether rice, sweet potatoes, manioc, bread or some combination. Tonight there was a thick soup and choice of stewed chicken or stewed ribs with rice and/or sweet potatoes. Lettuce leaves and minced tomato and onions were available, but the only dressing is olive oil. Tomorrow night we have plans to go to a restaurant that specializes in local dishes.

Students begin lining up for supper

The kitchen with the ladies who so graciously boil water a cople times per day for me to make tea in my thermal mug.
This is coffee country, not tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment