Friday, October 20, 2017

Headed Home

This morning Steve spoke in chapel. A nice group of students who interacted well with Steve’s question-answer approach to Psalm 150. I coveted their classroom for my Sunday school class. It had plenty of space to sit and write and still a wide-open area for more active learning, although I’m not sure how much these college-age students use it for that.

We leave for the airport after lunch today. I had not been to Brazil since 2012 when we visited Campo Grande where we had lived from 1978-82 and again for a few months 1984-85 on our way to Mozambique. I thought I would leave this time not knowing if or when I would return.

But Steve’s conversations yesterday at JUVEP, the missions training school, were productive. It is exactly the kind of program he would most like to help in retirement since its goal is to train Brazilians for the kind of cross-cultural ministry we have done. It seems that he will be returning over the next couple years to help them evaluate their curriculum, including the need for extension training in the interior (Brazil-speak for rural areas far from the coastal cities.) We had joked about a retirement place in Pedra Azul at China Park. Now I think of JUVEP’s proximity to the beach with its wonderful breezes and the possibility of escaping the Wisconsin season of melt and mud for sand and sunshine. Very inviting.

We shall see what the Lord has in store for the future, but for now, baring some unforeseen travel adventure in the next twenty-four hours, I expect this to be my last entry as a wide-eyed wanderer for now.

a typical settlement outside Recife yesterday

No comments:

Post a Comment