Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Getting There...at Last

Steve was at the gate to meet me when I got to Atlanta. As we approached the gate for our departure, I found I had a huge smile on my face. Just hearing Portuguese with strong Brazilian accents was enough to bring back so many happy memories of living here from 1978 to 1982 and again 1984-85. The plane was not full, and after take off I moved over so we each had a couple seats to sprawl out in. I still didn’t sleep very well, but that’s the way it goes, sitting upright.

In Rio Steve got our connecting flights changed so we will bet to Vitório a bit earlier even though it means a layover in São Paulo. We hadn’t had lunch so we got salagdinhos in the airport—kibe, coxinha, pão de queijo. Patty will remember as will the girls. And, oh, yes, Guarana.


Lúcio’s didn’t get the word until late, so they drove the three hours to the airport yesterday to meet us. Then again today. As the South Africans say, “Shame.”

Saw something interesting in the São Paulo airport that I never saw before--a custodian using Rollerblades to get around more efficiently.


3 comments:

  1. Aw... so they drove 6 hours both days? I think I would have opted for a hotel. Bummer, but glad you are finally there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sure put a smile on my face. Which reminds me, did I ever tell you we could get guarana in Ecuador? It brought back such happy memories of Christmas 1978!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful! If only it didn't have so uch caffeine.

    ReplyDelete