Wednesday, April 19, 2017

An Afternoon in Seoul Forest

Yesterday's trip to the ice rink gave me courage to launch out on my own again today. There is something exhilarating about having a whole subway system at your command.


Yesterday was dismal and rainy--a fit time to spend underground and indoors. Today was glorious, and much of my train ride was above ground. 

We spent the morning at Erika's Bible study, PWOC (Protestant Women of the Chapel). I am so grateful for Erika to have the support of this network of women looking at their lives in the light of Scripture together. I'm also grateful for the opportunity she has to minister in music to these women and to build relationships as they practice and lead together. I can see her growing so much.

But this afternoon while Simeon was in school Erika had a shopping date with a friend, returning to the music market where we were on Friday. She suggested I might want to go to Seoul Forest instead. I spent a fabulous afternoon. I had been there previously with Steve, Erika and Simeon, so it looked familiar when I came out of the subway. The fun thing about being alone was that I didn't have to worry about a four-year-old's attention span or other adults rolling their eyes when I wanted to know what was over that bridge or down that path. Although Erika and I had gone to the station together, I was on my own to get home, so there was no time schedule either.

Part of what I was hoping for was cherry blossoms. A lot were past their peak, but not all.


And there were plenty of other flowers to enjoy.


I wandered through this tunnel (no eye-rolling!)


And emerged under an overpass with a ramp onto a bike path that follows the river. Dan often bikes the river path, but I don't know if he does this section.

(Looking back at this, I realize that is Lotte Tower in the distance that we will visit April 22.)

When I started across this bridge, I thought it was only an overlook to the deer park below (all dirt; not photogenic), but it turned out to go a lot further than I expected: across seven lanes of traffic and down to...the bike path. Benches made a nice spot to sip from my tea mug.


It was a bit windy by the river, so I didn't linger. I came back and found a bench along the lake where I could read my book. (I love e-books on my phone that don't add any weight to an afternoon outing!)


I recognized several playgrounds where we lingered for Simeon to play on our previous visit. Next time. 




No comments:

Post a Comment