Friday, April 21, 2017

Climbing in a Rain of Blossoms

Today Erika and I dropped Simeon off at school and then climbed to Namsan Tower, the famous Seoul landmark. It’s an “easy” walk from the base if you define “easy” as short. But this is Korea, and all walks go straight uphill. This one was 4.2 miles start to finish, but my phone app registered the equivalent of climbing 44 flights of stairs. We did it last time I was here, pushing Simeon in the stroller. That’s why we decided to do it this time with him in school.

I did my I-wonder-what’s-over-there thing, and we went a different route than the stroller-friendly one we did before. This one had stairs. Lots of stairs—44 flights worth! But it was very pretty.

I was wondering what the pretty traditional building was. Erika sounded out the name over the entrance. Park Office. Oh. Prettiest park office I ever saw.

Our goal was often in sight.
Blossoms rained down like snow.

Did I mention lots of steps?
The views weren't the greatest with the polution. No point in paying to go up the tower. When we stopped at this lookout, I commented how much I love green spaces like this next to city spaces like the buildings you can see below. Erika added, "Next to mountains like that," pointing to the horizon.


We grabbed a late lunch at the Katusa snack bar. Katusas are the Korean soldiers assigned to the base, and this is their place to get "home cooking." We enjoyed Bibimbop (meat, vegetables and rice) and yaki mandu (fried dumplings).

Then we walked to Simeon's school to pick him up. The street is narrow. Believe it or not, this road is not one way.


The walking gate we used is commonly referred to as the "kimchi pot gate" because of this shop just outside, selling pots for making pickled vegetables.


No comments:

Post a Comment