Tuesday, November 2, 2021

Bell Rock and Courthouse Butte

 [There is no Internet at Marble Canyon Lodge, so the following entries were posted after we reached the more civilized Grand Canyon South Rim.]

I was on the road a little after six and pulled into the trailhead parking lot just north of the Village of Oak Creek, AZ, about 7. Everything was still in shadow when I pulled in. I put on my boots, and when I looked up, this is what I saw.


The morning light was marvelous. 


I started toward Bell Rock, but then realized that I was taking pictures of the same formations since Courthouse Butte was still in shadow with the sun behind it. When I reached the turn off for Big Park Loop which would take me to the east side of the butte, I took it and was rewarded with sun on the rocks.

 

 

Eventually I found a rock to sit and eat my hardboiled egg, granola bar and yogurt. This was my view.

 

The trail so far had been easy, but the N end of Courthouse Butte was marked “intermediate.” I pulled out the collapsible hiking poles I had ordered on Amazon and had sent to Erika when I realized I would be hiking in the Grand Canyon and was very glad to have them.

 

The sun went behind clouds, making it easier not to stop every ten steps to take another picture. The tall narrow rocks are called “Rabbit Ears.”

 

Mostly the trail was pretty clear. Occasionally there were places where one might be unsure what route to take, but brush hauled across the not-trail or a row of rocks directed you where to go. In the places where the trail crossed a wide expanse of flat rock, little rock turrets like this one indicted what to aim for.

I was navigating by the All Trails app on my phone. About the time I was thinking I should be seeing the parking lot in the distance, I checked the app. Ooops. I wasn’t where I thought I was. I still had a couple miles to go. I was supposed to be back to the hotel in Flagstaff by 10:30 for an 11 o-clock check out. Good thing the light didn’t tempt me to stop for pictures. I hoofed it those last couple miles, and arrived back in Flagstaff at 10:40. Not bad. I had called Steve to give him instructions on packing up my toiletries and the cooler stuff, which I usually take care of. When I arrived, everything was ready to pack the car. Mom even had her hat and coat on against the chill. (I had started the morning with jacket, padded vest, and gloves, but bit by bit had stowed them in my pack.)

 

Soon we were on our way north on Hwy 89.

No comments:

Post a Comment