Saturday, November 13, 2021

Coming Home

Ten states in eighteen days, five on the last day coming from Kansas to Wisconsin. I had to pinch myself over and over to remind myself that I was really there at the Grand Canyon. God's creation is overwhelmingly awesome. I love experiencing it up close and personal. And there was so much else that we barely glimpsed, so much to return for with more time. Someday I want to do a road trip that focuses on Native American sites and history like the cliff dwellers and other settlements. 

Other than Branson, MO, the weather was fine and dry. I had to slather my white scaly skin with eczema therapy cream last night before crawling into bed. I took my own pillow with me to make the various hotel rooms feel more "normal." Although Phoenix was in the upper 80s, mornings on the high plateau were cold, and we were glad for hats, gloves and heavy jackets. Also for my electric kettle that lets me make two thermoses of tea every morning with real boiling water and not hotel hot pot stuff that doesn't taste right. (So, I'm a tea snob.) We did two nights in most places other than the coming and going, but it still felt like we were packing in sightseeing every waking moment. I could have used a bit more down time. (But was not willing to skip those early morning hikes!) I was tired enough that I would not have objected to flying home from Phoenix with Mom if that had been necessary. It wasn't, and she did fine thanks to the great people who handle the airport wheelchairs. But I didn't blame her a bit for being worn out. This trip was almost as long as our three-week trek to Alaska and back in 2015, and she was only 90 then. 

On that trip I began passing the time in the car by knitting an afghan. Lately, I've been doing hats, a basic pattern with infinite color variations. Here are the results of this trip. (No knitting between Marble Canyon and Phoenix--too much to look at!)

It takes about an eight-hour day on the interstate to complete one hat. As you can see, I had balls of U of MN maroon and gold to play with.

At home, my yarn stays close to the TV. This year a bunch of hats went to Afghan refugees. The rest, along with these, will go to the local thrift store that supports the food bank. Then I will get started on next year's hats. 

It's a long two days crossing the Great Plains in an automobile. I can't imagine doing it on horseback or in a covered wagon. It must have seemed to take an eternity. And they had no truck stops or fast food to break up the tedium. Maybe some of them knit.

Until our next travel...

BTW, I welcome your comments on any of these posts, especially places you have visited yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment