Wednesday, November 3, 2021

Lee's Ferry, AZ, early morning hike

 When I said I would get up early this morning to hike, I meant early. Marble Canyon is on the Navajo reservation. That means it is not on daylight savings time—unlike the rest of Arizona. Yesterday the sun rose about 7, so I left the room at 6:30. As soon as I shut the door, I thought it was awfully dark, but I was already out and didn’t want to disturb Steve and Mom by going back in. The sun didn’t come up until about 8 this morning. It was still pitch dark when I got to this pull out. I had a nice long quiet time and breakfast before the sun began to show itself.

After a while, the magic happened.

 

 

I couldn’t decide where to look when I got to Lee’s Ferry.

 

 

Initially, I missed the path. I started down the gravel path to where rowboats used to carry travelers across the Colorado, but, as I discovered on the return trip, the path is completely unmarked. I was making my way down the soggy riverbank and beginning to think of giving up when I noticed info plaques above me. Sure enough that was the path.

 

 

The formal trail only goes so far, but an informal fisherman’s path goes on. When I turned back, there was a whole different view of the Colorado River.

 

 

Steve and Mom were up and ready to go by the time I got back to the hotel. I made my tea, and we were off for our next adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment