Saturday, November 6, 2021

Grand Canyon, South Rim, Red Route

The plan was to take off for Phoenix this morning, but not so early that I couldn't get in one more early morning hike.

Steve dropped me at the depot where I caught to Blue Line bus to the exchange for the Red Line out to Hermit's Rest, a trailhead to the bottom and the furthest stop to the west. My plan was to hike back along the Rim Trail as far as I could before I needed to catch the return bus to meet Steve and Mom at 11. 

It was 7:15 when I boarded the Red Line bus, and I couldn't resist another sunrise picture.

I was the only person on the bus for the entire trip, and the driver and I got to chatting. Steve had commented yesterday that driving buses here must be the most boring job on earth. Turns out that is anything but the truth. My driver, who was only a few years younger than I am, loves her job more than anything she has every done. She hopped out with me at the stops where she was supposed to wait a few minutes to stay on schedule. Our conversation got more and more personal. She came out of a difficult home situation, turned to drugs in the 70s, met her husband in rehab and met Christ when they chose a private Christian school for their kids. She radiated joy. By the time we reached Hermit's Rest, I asked if I could pray for her. We embraced despite masks. As I walked 4 miles back along the rim, I prayed that she would be a blessing to everyone she met today.

At Hermit's Rest I found this plaque posted. It fittingly describes the way I have felt the last few days here.


The view from the shop at Hermit's Rest.

If you are looking for an intimate experience of the edge, take the gravel rim trail between Hopi Point and Monument Creek Vista.

It passes the Abyss, which drops 3300 feet straight down.

If you have a fear of heights (or your legs are too wobbly after so much hiking) you might be best off to stick to the asphalted Greenway. My legs were wobbly, but...

When I hopped a bus at Mohave Point to get back in time to meet Steve and Mom, who should be my driver? The same woman. We both felt like it was a God thing.

Last shot of Grand Canyon. Well, at least for 2021.

No comments:

Post a Comment