Thursday, November 4, 2021

Cathedral Wash Trail, Marble Canyon, AZ

Cathedral Wash in Marble Canyon, AZ, is undoubtedly the most mentally challenging hike I have ever done. Certainly alone. I have done more physically challenging hikes. (I did not come out of Cathedral Wash with my knees literally shaking like I did after one mountain hike in Korea.) But those hikes were with my son-in-law. Some of them involved ladders or pulling myself up by chains grounded in the rocks, but they were well marked, full of other hikers, and even had tea shops or souvenir stands precariously perched at the top! 

And I was not alone.

Cathedral Wash was a completely natural situation, making my way from the Lee’s Ferry road, down a slot canyon toward the Colorado River. Do not attempt without boots. Or poles. Or if you are afraid of heights.


The sun was just up when I arrived at the pull out for the trail.


The trail begins by cutting under the road.


On the other side of the culvert is a shallow wash.


But it quickly descends. 


I watched for footprints to give me clues as to which way to go, and was always glad when someone had prepared the way.


So which ledge will be most successful in getting me past the water without leaving me too high to get down?


Worth it every step!


The “trail” was 1.2 miles. I gave up at one mile and turned back when I came to the top of this dry waterfall maybe 25- or 30-feet high. There was a way down. I could see a pile of rocks at the bottom that someone had piled up to climb back, but I lacked confidence that I have the upper body strength to do it. And I was alone. Steve knew which trail I was on to look for me if I didn’t come back, but it would be a long wait. I really needed one of those Korean ladders or chains.


On the way back up, I had to remember which ledge had been successful on the way down. (This one is where the no-fear-of-heights warning comes in.)

At this point coming down, I chose to jump because I could see a heap of rocks that someone had piled up to be able to reach high enough to climb back up. On the return I had to reposition some of the rocks that had scattered (probably when the earlier hiker kicked his or her way up.) Even then, I ended up stretching on my stomach and kicking my right leg up to role on my belly while feeling completely overbalanced by the pack on my back.  


 On the way back up, I met a nature photographer coming down. I wish I could see HIS pictures! He had knee-high rubber boots with hiking-boot soles that made me jealous. If you want more images, try this page of images from other hikers although some of them show the Colorado below Lee’s Ferry at the bottom of the canyon, which I never reached.

 

When I got back to the hotel room, we took off for the Grand Canyon South Rim!

No comments:

Post a Comment